Sunday, March 4, 2012

YGT: The Chronicles of Naptime


Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep; but we will all be changed... I Corinthians 15:51


Naptime has definitely made my prayer life stronger. Each time we put our dear Jocelyn down for her nap, I find myself praying she will stay in the bed.  (She used to nap so well.)

Yesterday when I noticed she was up again (thank goodness for video monitors), I went to see where she had gone. To my surprise, I found her standing in our room and examining a Bible. Out of curiosity I stayed at the bedroom door to watch her.

She picked the Bible up and began to turn pages carefully. She noticed the book was backwards so she turned it around and turned a few more pages. She began going through and taking out leaflets, notes, and a church envelope. Then she noticed me standing there and we walked back to her room for her to sleep.

Jocelyn's naptime adventure got me wondering about how God must view our journey with the Bible...

We wake up from our nap (birth), then stumble into the Word (usually from our parents). Even though we hold God's Word we are unable to completely understand it. We hold it backwards and we can't even read fully yet. As soon as we realize how to hold it (not what's inside, just how to hold it), we notice God has been graciously watching our feeble attempts all along.  Sometimes, we take out the things inside that we feel don't belong.  As soon as we recognize how close God has been, it is time to go back to sleep (death).

I'm grateful for yesterday and for Gods mercy in allowing us to fumble through His Word. Let's pray God enters the room with us as we study, interpret, and obey the sacred text we hold.


Lord please forgive us handling your Word as if we knew how to read it. Forgive us for times we approach You pridefully. Remind us that we are but children, scrambling to make meaning of the scriptures You've given us before you call us back home. Until that day, we'll be careful to give You the praise.


Learning,
j.a.g.

No comments: