Sunday, May 6, 2012

YGT: Words with Friends

On His way to the cross, Jesus called together a band of men who would become his disciples. The Bible describes His selections simply - Jesus spoke and without delay, the men followed (Matthew 4:18-22 below).  The men thought they were being chosen to be disciples and followers of Jesus.  Jesus later revealed the real nature of their relationship.   

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.  - John 15:15

From this, we see that when Jesus chose them, He wasn't simply asking for servants.  Instead, He was saying, "I want you to be my friends."  Implicitly, He was communicating, "I want to tell you my secrets.  I want you to know my business. I want you to be there when I die..."

Early in his ministry, Jesus didn't need to send out an invitation for friends. By comparison, if Jesus had an Android (over the Iphone - hard to side with the bitten apple), his "Words with Friends" app could have had hundreds of games going simultaneously.  (WwF app users - It's hard to resist adding extra games isn't it?)  But Jesus didn't need a multitude of friends.  Instead, He chose twelve, declaring "These are the people I want to make myself known to.  These will be my friends."  Wow.  

As we examine our own friendships, let's be mindful of the words of Jesus - follow me.  Not to be under or behind me, but to be in my business.  True friendships are a calling. We're inviting our closest friends into our innermost thoughts, desires, and pains. We have given them permission to watch us live and die.  Let's take our selections seriously.



Lord, we need you in our lives and friendships.  There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend.  Your death on the cross is that ultimate witness.  Please speak to us in this hour.  Reveal our weaknesses and hide our strengths.  We need to be better.  We will be careful to give Your name the glory.  What an honor to be a friend of God!... Amen.





Praising,
j.a.g.



*A special thank you to all my friends.  In particular, thank you to my best friend and wife Ashley who inspired this post.  I love you all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 4:18-22
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 
19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 
22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

No comments: