Tuesday, September 11, 2012

YGT: How does it feel to be Ordained?

I was ordained at Second Baptist Church in Bloomington, Indiana two weeks ago. Sidenote/apology: Between preparing for the ordination, spending time in Indiana, and beginning my final year at DDS, I haven't been able to post in over three weeks.  I'm sorry and will do better.


Since the ordination, I've been asked the same question over and over - How does it feel?  In essence, people are asking - Has there been any noticeable change?  
*For those into the theological aspects of ordination, this is a major question - Is there an ontological change during ordination?  In other words, does it literally change who you are?


My response has been the same - no, I don't really feel much different.  There is definitely relief (it was an anxious process) and expectation (ordination is done for anticipated service). Admittedly, there is also something indescribably powerful that happens in the laying on of hands (can't name it, but it happens - Acts 8:18, I Timothy 1:6) .  But none of these feel extremely different than before.  This was better said in another post by a Jesuit priest - "If you're not a priest the day before ordination, you won't be one the day after."


All that said, I received the best follow up to this question yesterday from my friend, Duane Cole, who made me aware of another reality. He said that usually after you take a major step in your faith, the enemy attacks you.  This is similar to Jesus being tempted by Satan after His baptism.  After God publicly approved of Jesus ("thou art my beloved Son, in thee I am well pleased" - Luke 3:22), the Spirit sent Him to be tempted.  Jesus overcame the enemy's attempts and was ministered to by angels (
Mark 1:9-12).

I love Jesus.  He shows us that being set aside for service doesn't make you more special, it makes you more of an opponent.  In a way, once we take a step for God, we make ourselves a bigger target for the enemy.  All those who submit and follow God are asking for a confrontation with the enemy.  You can't have a superhero without a super-villain.    If we're faithful to our calling and indeed our ordination, we should expect to feel targeted, to feel destitute, and to witness God's provision.  





Lord, thank You for the blessing and curse of ministry; the blessing to love Your creation and the curse to be enlisted for battle.  Remind us of the priesthood of all believers, of our universal call to serve.  Please separate us as You desire for faithful obedience.  In your separation, please sanctify and empower.  We need You.  In Christ's name, Amen.


Expecting,
j.a.g.










----------------------------------------------------------
Acts 8:18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money


I Timothy 1:6-76 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 


Luke 3:22
and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”


Mark 1:9-13
9 At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 
11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son,whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
12 At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, 
13 and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way of expressing your feelings after this event in your spiritual walk. I will continue to pray for your ministry and for your family! Love you. Mama Suzanne