Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Confessions of an Ex-Bible Reader

Seek out the book of the Lord and read... 
Isaiah 34:16a




​I’m convinced priests had no lives. If they had lives, there’s no way they could dedicate themselves to the Word like they did. They couldn’t have had children to feed or clothes to iron or bosses to satisfy. At the very least, they surely didn’t have my life. I can barely fit in time to devote to reading scripture. It’s saddening that one of the most important parts of my spiritual life used to be scripture reading. It used to be such a joy to read and be read by the Word. Not anymore. When I used to read, there were no sermons to prepare, no lessons to teach, nothing to decipher or decode. I read for pure desire. I read to get closer to God. Now, my reading is burdened by deadlines and expectations. Now, I hear each verse asking “What will you do with me?” when before I used to ask “What will you do with me?” In fact, I don’t even know if I read anymore – instead I scour.


​This year, I want to rekindle a relationship with the Bible that is based on love and not obligation. I’m challenging myself to read the entire Bible this year. I've created a calendar that I’ll be using to get through the year. I don’t want to get burned out or dejected so I’ve built in weekly times of Sabbath. I’ve also built in a month  of no readings at all! This will mean some heavier reading loads some days, but it’s important for me to have rest and to be realistic if I need to make up some readings during some part of the year. It’s also important to celebrate accomplishing things and to step away so it doesn’t become a burden again.



​I’m excited and interested to see what this year holds spiritually. I don’t believe the Word of God was given to me to be a chore or a bore. I believe it is God’s love letter to me. I believe God’s Word has outdone William Shakespeare, Zora Neale Hurston, and J.K. Rowling. I desire to be swept away again in it’s stories, lessons, and spirit. If you wish, feel free to grab a pen, curl up in a quiet spot, and join in the journey.*  “In the beginning, God…”



Read,

j.a.g.




God, I hope you hear my heart. I want to be close to you. Please give me the strength and openness to read with new eyes. Please open my eyes that I might see the wonderful things in your law. I long to know You and be known by You. Thank You. Amen.

 








 



*Email me at jeagilmo@gmail.com and I can send you the reading calendar.







No comments: