Monday, January 7, 2013

YGT: The Inconvenient Truth



I wish the Lord would speak to me during commercials… 


Or maybe in a text message. Then I could take a couple minutes and quickly respond to what I hear in my spirit. This last year of blogging has shown me an important truth about great thoughts - they come at the most inconvenient times. Driving to work, during an exam, at 2:00 in the morning, great thoughts have no etiquette


The venerable Rev. Dr. William Turner at Duke Divinity School said there’s a difference between things that TAKE time and things that MAKE time. Things that are truly important in your life MAKE time to happen. Funny how we don’t TAKE time for eating, sleeping, or social networking… we MAKE time for these things because they are important (well, the social networking one is debatable). The same could be said for any number of goals you have. As the new year rolls on, what things in your life TAKE time and what things MAKE time?  (i.e. scripture reading or TMZ.com, Butterfingers or exercise, budgeting or shopping?
)


In all honesty, I worry about 2013 – will I be able to keep posting with regularity? Or will God graciously answer my prayers and speak when it’s convenient? We all know the truth to that. If it’s important (which it is), I will write. And when it’s convenient (which it never is), God will speak.


The last year has given me the opportunity to attempt to note God’s movements in my spirit. What I really learned is that hearing God isn’t optional, it’s critical. And things that are critical MAKE time. Looking forward to more great thoughts in 2013 and beyond!!!





Lord, thank You for the witness of blogging. Thank You for the last year and allowing me to note what I hear and see. Please give me a sensitive spirit, one that can sense the winds blowing. I desire to be more faithful and effective. Help me to divide things that take time from those that make time. I love You and live to serve You. In Christ’s name, Amen.




Making time,
j.a.g.






--------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 62:5
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

No comments: