Tuesday, July 10, 2012

YGT: Give God a Break

Yesterday, I was driving home and began to get anxious as I approached our place. Jocelyn is home and it was her bedtime. Bedtime normally isn't a huge problem but last night Kadia (who Jocelyn adores) was over and Jocelyn always cries when she leaves. And once she starts crying at bedtime, its hard to get her to stop. The crying will usually continue throughout her bath, brushing her teeth, and putting on pajamas. As turned the final corner and parked the car, I could already see the scenario vividly in my mind. Lord, I breathed, please don't let this be a rough night... Can I please have a break tonight?...


I went inside and the craziest thing happened - Jocelyn didn't cry. She wasn't happy to see Kadia leave of course, but she handled it really well. She laughed her way into the bathroom and asked me to play the song "Chasing After You" by William Murphy. We listened to the song at least 4 times as she sang and danced through brushing her teeth and putting on her pajamas. We laughed and laughed. When it was time to say her prayers (which can also be an interesting time of night - sometimes she's feeling up for it, sometimes not), Mommy came home. Jocey asked Mommy to pray with her and I was able to go sit on the couch and rest.


Wow, what a great night, I thought.




For one night, I got a break from being the father of a child who can be needy, moody, and irritable. Instead, I was able to witness my child make me smile and laugh. If you can, try reading this post again and substitute yourself for the child and God for the father. I imagine it'll be no different. Like a three year old at bedtime, we can be pretty whiny. Let's allow God to rejoice in us laughing heartily, dancing mightily, and singing freely (yes, even trying to hit those notes you'd never sing in public, lol). Give God a break!



Lord, sorry I cry and complain so much.  I know you understand and I know you'll be there because You love me, but I'm still sorry.  Thank You for everything!


Nothing,
j.a.g.







-----------------------------------------------
Genesis 2:2
By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

No comments: