Thursday, July 19, 2012

YGT: Permanently Pressing (The Good Life)

How do we get the good life?  

Well, that depends on your idea of "good". We often believe that a good life is one where we're "happy" - where we don't have to worry about anything. However, if we define our lives by God's standards, the good life is not an easy life. You see, God's definition of good is quite different. 

Paul gives us a hint of this when he said "this one thing will I do" in Philippians 3:13-14.  He said he will PRESS. One of the definitions of press in Greek is to pursue in a hostile manner.  That means to work, scratch, crawl, kick, bleed, and sweat your way to your destination.  

Many of us can relate to what it means to press.  Everyday our lives seem like we are in a battle as we try to live for God.  It is my belief that the pressing we do each day is good to God.  Paul said it better when he said at the end of his life he wants to be able to say "he fought the good fight of faith."  Or in other words, that he pressed.  

Our social expectations and childhood fantasies have painted a picture of the good life that was never given by God.  I like to imagine that God is looking down, watching us press each day, and longing to say "Well done, my good and faithful servant".  When God says you've lived a good life, that's when you know you've attained it.  Until then, this one thing will I do...


Lord, please help us to be strong and continue living for you.  Help us press.  Please be with us when we would like to give up on the journey.  We desire to know You, but it is hard.  We desire to live for You, but it is painful.  We want to hear well done and to hear you call our lives good.  In Christ's name and for His sake, Amen.


In hostile pursuit,
j.a.g.






------------------------------------------------------
Philippians 3:13-14Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

II Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight of faith, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Matthew 25:23
His lord said unto him, Well done good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things, enter thou into the joy of the Lord.

No comments: