Monday, July 2, 2012

YGT: My Summer Internship (Like Writing in the Sand)

This summer I have been serving as a chaplain intern at a youth development center in North Carolina. In our summer experience, we write reflection papers on our experience. Below is an excerpt...


One of the ways we (former intern Jeremy Simmons and I) tried to bring hope was starting a gospel choir. We meet, talk, and sing songs that focus on Christ and forgiveness. Before one of our rehearsals this summer, my friend and fellow intern, Justin read Romans 8:1 (there is therefore now no condemnation...)the boys spontaneously began asking questions about the Bible, church, and God. They had questions about Christians serving in the military, abortion, using God’s name in vain, and unforgivable sin. We spent nearly our entire rehearsal time just talking about the Bible and their own thoughts. It was one of the most amazing moments I’ve seen in ministry.

This taught me a valuable lesson...

Besides prayer, our chief asset as chaplains is probably flexibility. My outline is not for God to fit into, but my goal is to try to fit into His outline. It’s become akin to writing in the sand by the shore; as long as the tide doesn’t come, the writing is discernible. But when the tide rushes in, be ready to change your plans.


As it's been said, if you ever want to hear God laugh... tell Him your plans.  I'm grateful to find out what ways God will continue to teach me and change my plans during my internship.




Lord, please give us the flexibility to roll with the punches...and the tides.  In Christ's name, Amen.




------------------------------------------------------------
Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

No comments: